If your contract expires while maternity or paternity, will continue to receive their economic benefit of maternity 16 weeks, or 12 weeks in case of paternity, until the high medical or end of this situation. At that moment may apply for the benefit or subsidy by unemployment in the 15 working days.

The period of maternity or paternity leave, while you have remained high in the company, takes into account as occupation period quoted for accessing unemployment benefits, since in this period of rest maternal or paternal continues the obligation to contribute while the contract is valid.

Maternity or paternity leave the pays the national institute of Social security (INSS).


  • Be affiliated or affiliated and high or similar service in Social security in a system that is listed unemployment.
  • Found in legal situation of unemployment .
  • Be registered or registered as a jobseeker and maintain this registration while it receives the provision and fulfilling the commitment of activity that is included in the application.
  • To access the contributory benefit must be contributed to unemployment at least 360 within days 6 years prior to the date of legal unemployment. If you have contributed less, you can qualify for unemployment subsidy.
  • Failed ordinary age for retirement.
  • Do not perform any activity or self-employed work full time, except compatibility established by a program to promote employment.
  • Not a pension of Social security incompatible with the work.

Documentation required

To apply for unemployment benefit, in general, you will need the following documentation:

  • Official application model.
  • Identification of the applicant and the sons or daughters who live or are responsible and displayed on the application, it is sufficient to show one of the following:
    • Spanish and Spanish: National identity document (DNI) or passport.
    • Foreign and foreigners resident in Spain:
      • Nationals of the European Union: Certificate of registration of citizen from the European Union contains the NIE, together with the passport or identity document in their country of origin.
      • Non-nationals of the European Union: Identity card from foreign (TIE) which has the NIE, and the passport.
  • Any bank document containing the account number that is incumbent where you want to receive the benefit.
  • Certificate of company, which will be sent to the public employment service state for the company or companies in which you have worked in the last six months. Only in those situations in which the company certificate is not sufficient to justify the legal situation of unemployment, the document as appropriate.
  • Family Book or certification of the Civiel Registry of birth or family. In the case of foreigners, a document equivalent to those mentioned above, with an official translation into Spanish.

When, where and how tramito

You can get more information on the phone of attention to citizenship